Seven Ways To Get Into Holy Mischief at YOUTH 2019
Your program guide for Youth 2019 will have lots of options for you and your youth group discover what it means to “Love Well” but we all know that a lot of the fun that happens on retreats comes at times that were not on the schedule. If you want to make some memorable moments during Youth 2019 be sure to incorporate some moments of Holy Mischief into your trip. I like to describe Holy Mischief as something that is really fun but focuses on other and shares the love and grace of Jesus. While there are more than seven ways to get into Holy Mischief, here are seven to get you started:
- Make notes with nice sayings to leave on the tables at restaurants. All it takes is a sticky note on the napkin dispenser that says, “Have a great day!” or “Smile – you are loved beyond measure!” to make someone smile.
- Offer to pray for your server at restaurants. Be sure to ask his or her name!
- Pay for someone else’s meal before you leave. This might be harder to do at your “splurge meal” for KC BBQ but if your group pool’s their money together at a sandwich shop or Insomnia Cookies – you can make someone’s day.
- Bring some goodies (did I mention Insomnia Cookies?) to the security staff at the convention center. These men and women are looking out for us all week. Show a little appreciation by giving them some candy, water, a note, or a fist bump. Even a heartfelt “thank you!” will spread some cheer.
- Find one local business and fill their social media site with positive comments and friendly posts. Most local business will have a Facebook page, Instagram, or Twitter account that helps them connect with their customers. Go to their sites and “like” their posts and leave nice comments for future visitors!
- Post the top things your group finds memorable with the #KansasCity hashtag. Many people will search this hashtag before visiting. Pay it forward by letting others know what you’ve enjoyed! (Conversely this hashtag will give you a good variety of Kansas City culture)
- Take group photos near as many of the fountains as you can. Kansas City is known for its beautiful fountains. There are over 200 registered fountains. You can get a preview of them here: http://www.kcfountains.com/. When you do come across one, have someone read one of the following scriptures and then take a group photo. Be sure to reference the scripture when you post the picture. This will remind your group of the connection between this great city and the reason why they came on this trip. Psalm 36:9; Proverbs 10:11; Proverbs 16:22; John 4:14; John 7:38; Revelation 7:17.
There are many other ways to get into Holy Mischief. I can’t wait to see how you and your group decide to embody the theme: “Love Well.” While I know that these items might be small compared to some of the bigger deeper ways we can love our neighbor, sometimes it’s the small steps that get us going toward the bigger acts of grace that truly transform the world.
May God bless your acts of Holy Mischief at Youth2019 and on all your journeys.
-Shannon Karafanda, DIG Group Coordinator